Sunday, August 10, 2003

Inspired by “American Wedding”

After watching the movie, I feel both scared and excited about my future. Who am I going to marry? How many times am I going to get married? Am I even going to get married?!? I feel like I’m still 16.

Two words: time flies! I still remember watching “American Pie” with my Taiwanese buddies the summer of high school graduation. The characters in the movie were moving on the college, and so were we. Sometime in the midst of college life, I watched “American Pie 2” and the movie characters were also struggling with their college careers as well as partying like a proper college students. Now everyone’s graduated from college, including myself, I ask myself “Where did my youth go?” I feel like I haven’t really done much for the past four years. I feel like, damn, that’s IT? At the same time, I know that college had shaped me – prepared me for the long, hard road ahead of me. Some friends I made during the four years will be my lifetime partners. Some skills I learned I will be using for the rest of my life. Some memories I will most definitely remember until the day I die.

I don’t regret a single bit that I chose to go to Carnegie Mellon. Prestigious university, nice people, good education. Although I might complain a lot about the boring city, hideous weather and the crazy work load, but I realized this is just another challenge in life, another unique experience that one day we would tell our children or grandchildren. “When I was back at college, man, nobody pimped more than I did. And I STILL got 4.0!!” Well, maybe there wasn’t much to pimp and no way in hell I have a 4.0. But you know what I’m saying? You won’t taste the sweet until you experience the bitterness of life. If life always bends the way you want it to, then where’s the excitement when you finally accomplished something important to you, or finished reading “The Lord of the Rings” trilogy? What the hell is the point of living if you have everything you want in this world already?

Yup, I wouldn’t tell people to not come to CMU because Pittsburgh is a shithole. I will tell them that Pittsburgh IS a shithole but it’s up to you to make it a better place or not. I will say, brother, what doesn’t kill you only makes you stronger.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?